Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
BTE - Flyin' King
It appears that Bruce Tharpe is shutting down, what a shame, I am lucky, I have a Flyin King ready to cover, one of the nicest flying planes I ever flew. I powered it with an early high compression Saito 80. This one will be powered by a Saito 100 with CHI, simply because I have a 100 that is sitting in it's box.
Hi there, can I ask you a question? Ive had a few different Saito engines through the years, the largest being a Saito 72. In recent times ive thought hard abput buying a Saito 100, but ive read a lot about vibration issues due to the Saito 100 having a long stroke. This results in the engine shaking the life out of the plane. Is there any truth to these statements or is it all a bit far fetched? I have a brand new 60 size Escapade 61 and I was looking at a new Saito 100 for this plane. Many thanks and kind regards Aidan.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
I have a BTE Flyin King ready to cover, it's difficult to do anything with some medical thing nearly every day. Double MRI today, without and with dye.
Any recent pics?
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

It sucks getting old! Beautiful airplane!
Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by easystar123
Hi there, can I ask you a question? Ive had a few different Saito engines through the years, the largest being a Saito 72. In recent times ive thought hard abput buying a Saito 100, but ive read a lot about vibration issues due to the Saito 100 having a long stroke. This results in the engine shaking the life out of the plane. Is there any truth to these statements or is it all a bit far fetched? I have a brand new 60 size Escapade 61 and I was looking at a new Saito 100 for this plane. Many thanks and kind regards Aidan.
I've had a couple FA-100's and didn't notice that they vibrated more than similar size 4 strokes. Just prop it for 9K to 10K rpm on the ground and you'll be fine. It's good to keep in mind that overly rich mixtures can cause excessive vibration.

The FA-100 I had on my Sig 4*60 was a perfect match. I only got to fly it a handful of times because someone at a fly-in just HAD to have it.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
I've had a couple FA-100's and didn't notice that they vibrated more than similar size 4 strokes. Just prop it for 9K to 10K rpm on the ground and you'll be fine. It's good to keep in mind that overly rich mixtures can cause excessive vibration.

The FA-100 I had on my Sig 4*60 was a perfect match. I only got to fly it a handful of times because someone at a fly-in just HAD to have it.
Many thanks for all your help. That has convinced me to go ahead and get the Saito 100. Cheers
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I have built three of the Four Star 60 kits. The first was powered by a Saito FA-91. Seemed adequate at the time. Next one was fitted with the newly released YS 91AC. The differences were amazing. Not just the massive additional power but the transition and idle were were awesome and like no other engine of that size. I decided to build a third one a couple years later, this one was a clipped wing version with reinforced stab and elevator, also a scaled up, balanced rudder. Of course, another YS up front. Soon became the favorite Four Star.

If I come across a Four Star 120, I would like very much to build one. I would likely power it too with a YS-91AC with CDI . No doubt a good match for the way I fly now

That Four Star with an FA-100 will be Superb plane. They do quite well with a wide range of engines.

Last edited by Jesse Open; Yesterday at 03:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a Four Star 60 (71"), I have not finished fixing it LOL. I have been wondering a long time if my Saito 100 T is too heavy for it. I have had one good pilot tell me it is not too heavy for it. seems to me it is, what you guys think.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
I have a Four Star 60 (71"), I have not finished fixing it LOL. I have been wondering a long time if my Saito 100 T is too heavy for it. I have had one good pilot tell me it is not too heavy for it. seems to me it is, what you guys think.
As said, Jim, mine flew great great on the FA-100 single. Over powered for sure but that's how I like them. Unlimited vertical and fast enough to fly knife edge without loss in altitude, great fun for me but not everyone's cup of tea.

Don't know how the 100T would balance.
Old Today, 02:32 AM

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

I have always considered the 100 to be a smooth engine, but due to it's light weight and strong power pulses it's torsional impulses will either rock the engine a little or rock the plane if the plane is light.

If this carb is set up the same as the FG 41, the HS/main needle goes in the empty hole.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; Today at 02:40 AM.
Old Today, 03:49 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My style of flying must be very different because I'm flying a 4 Star 60 with a Saito 80.