Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
RemoteID exemptions for events >

RemoteID exemptions for events

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RemoteID exemptions for events

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 12:29 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts
Default RemoteID exemptions for events

Here's a primer on how to get a RID exemption for sanctioned events

Old 06-11-2024, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

cool,
now,

as a CD why would i want to do that?
Old 06-12-2024, 03:15 AM

You're having an event at a field that isn't a designated FRIA.

Say your club is hosting a glider event at some sod farm, a float fly at a lake etc.

Old 06-12-2024, 05:44 PM

but, as the guy responsible for the event and all that happens there, why do I want to make it easy for folk that are showing a complete disregard for following the existing rules an easy path to attend and possibly disrupt the event with other rule following challenges?

seems a recipe for problems to me.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:13 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
but, as the guy responsible for the event and all that happens there, why do I want to make it easy for folk that are showing a complete disregard for following the existing rules an easy path to attend and possibly disrupt the event with other rule following challenges?

seems a recipe for problems to me.
I fail to see how you came to this scenario. The attendees would still be AMA members and behavior would be the same as if the event were being held in a FRIA.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:49 AM

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I fail to see where you are making it easy to disregard existing rules? Your choice as a CD - follow the new rule to allow those that only fly at FRIA's the ability to attend, or not get an exemption and only allow those with RID's. There may be a few "outlaws" that fly at non-FRIA's without RID showing up...but at your exempted event, they would be compliant with the rules - or you say "Sorry, can't fly" if the event is not exempt.

Interesting that an "outlaw" guy is concerned with others following the rules....
Old 06-13-2024, 12:38 PM

first,
an outlaw is NOT necessarily an anarchist.
even outlaws have some rules.

second,

now that we are allowing a rule not to be enforced at a non FRIA location, what rule is next to be not enforced at some select location?
turbine waiver requirement
greater than 55 pound without over weight build inspection
no alcohol consumption while flying

the slope is slippery, once you have stepped even a little way out onto it.

who decides where and when to stop, and can it even be stopped, once the "wall" has been breached?
Old 06-13-2024, 01:16 PM

I don't see what your issue is. If you're having an event you can apply for a temporary FRIA is the end result. Nobody said anything about any other rules.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:04 PM

first,

second,

now that we are allowing a rule not to be enforced at a non FRIA location, what rule is next to be not enforced at some select location?

who decides where and when to stop, and can it even be stopped, once the "wall" has been breached?
The FAA. Since they are the ones that approved this exemption. I fail to see how this affects the other rules you mention as AMA rules and an FAA exemption are two entirely different things.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

first,

second,

My Friends, I think Mongo has a fair concern with the watering down of the rules. I don't see him as an "outlaw" in this view, rules are rules, and enacted for a reason. While some may see this particular change as being in our favor (I'm not so sure yet), it does set the stage for further tweaks of the rules, some of which my not be in our favor, the so called slippery slope Mongo mentions. Not all people who examine changes are looking to rabble rouse, some may well be genuinely concerned that once the rule changes start, when DO they rear up and bite us in the Butt VS go in our favor? So we examine all changes with a wary eye.......

Keep pluggin Mongo

Last edited by init4fun; 06-14-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:39 AM

I wouldn’t use the term “ rules “ in this case. What is happening is the FAA working with the AMA has come up with a way to ease a LAW in order to get us closer to being able to enjoy our hobby in ways that we did before they gained control of us. What Mongo stated as examples were mostly AMA rules that as of now will not change. His prediction of an event being held at a non FRIA site being RID exempt a kin to inviting bad behavior is just nothing more then a fallacy. All the participants would still need to be AMA members so behavior would be on par with holding the event at a FRIA.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see you finally admit that you CANNOT fly in ways you did before:
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
... in ways that we did before they gained control of us ...(emphasis added)
Old 06-16-2024, 06:01 AM

LOL, why not. I mean I never stopped flying like I always did but I realize that some guys think that the Feds will jump out of the bushes at any time. But hey since you chimed in, are you willing to admit that this just adds to the list on wins for the AMA? I mean we ( AMA members ) have been racking up several new privileges that give us greater access to the NAS thanks to the efforts of our Private dues collecting organization ( emphasis added ). So by all means, slap on your “ Commander Obvious “ cape and once again remind us of how membership is on a constant decline, dues increases yada yada yada.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying my membership in the AMA and the privileges that come with membership, in fact I’m loaded up and will be heading out right after I have my Fathers Day breakfast with my wife, daughter and granddaughter. Enjoy a few pictures from flying sessions so far this year.

Old 06-16-2024, 06:26 AM

LOL, why not. I mean I never stopped flying like I always did but I realize that some guys think that the Feds will jump out of the bushes at any time. But hey since you chimed in, are you willing to admit that this just adds to the list on wins for the AMA? I mean we ( AMA members ) have been racking up several new privileges that give us greater access to the NAS thanks to the efforts of our Private dues collecting organization ( emphasis added ). So by all means, slap on your “ Commander Obvious “ cape and once again remind us of how membership is on a constant decline, dues increases yada yada yada.
Wins? Wouldn't a more accurate description be along the lines of clawing back things lost? I think deep down inside you know this, otherwise why would you refer to flying "in ways that we did before?"

If declining membership revenue and increasing staff costs as a percent of dues is a captain obvious moment, then it's interesting the EC does not seem to be able to see the obvious. Despite a 48% decrease in membership revenue - a number directly proportional to the number of paying members - the size of the staff has remained largely flat since 2001. Fewer members yet same number of staff needed? Can hardly wait to hear that justified (oh, BTW downward trend in club dues and event sanction revenue as well).

The problem is acute though, which also seems lost on the EC. When I last ran the numbers, it showed that in 15 years 3 months every dollar of membership dues will have to pay for staff. EVERYTHING else the AMA does will have to come from somewhere - and that's a lot of money to make up. Fast forward 12 months and I just ran new data. The point where membership revenue and staff costs intersect went from 15 years 3 months to 14 years 2 months. And yet there's no sense of urgency among the EC. And no apparent appetite to cut what will soon be their biggest expense - people.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:07 AM

LOL the same load of crap you’ve been spewing for how many decades now? Where has it gotten you?

Does not change the fact that AMA members have a higher level of privileges to the NAS than non members. Something you have declared as unconstitutional right?
Old 06-16-2024, 10:06 AM

LOL the same load of crap you’ve been spewing for how many decades now? Where has it gotten you?
Meanwhile, despite dues increases and paying member initiatives, the trajectory remains unchanged.

Does not change the fact that AMA members have a higher level of privileges to the NAS than non members. Something you have declared as unconstitutional right?
And that still isn't enough to juice membership ... which means the targeted market for new members is uninterested.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:03 AM

LOL same old Franklin, deflect deflect deflect. None of what you’ve babbled on about changes the fact that AMA members have more privileges to the NAS than non members. Your babble doesn’t change the fact that the FAA was going to regulate us one way or another and the AMA has gotten us those additional privileges.

Target market of new members, what a joke. There just isn’t any interest among the youth anymore. Most of us have figured that out.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:56 PM

Target market of new members, what a joke. There just isn’t any interest among the youth anymore. Most of us have figured that out.
Apparently the Dear Leader hasn't ... he's talking about the latest new marketing effort!
Old 06-16-2024, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AMA has gotten us those additional privileges.
WAIT....We have privileges we didn't have before? Do tell......

Astro